This is another very simple recipe and great to serve with drinks and other nibbles when entertaining. If the portion size below is too much you can keep this in the freezer and simply defrost and enjoy another day.
If you’re using plan soft cheese I would add some fresh herbs, like chopped chives to the recipe and if you’re using already peppered mackerel fillets then don’t add the additional pepper.
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 3 smoked mackerel fillets
- 1 tablespoon of capers
- 6 – 8 cocktail gherkins (depending on size, mine were small)
- 200g garlic and herb soft cheese (you can substitute with plain soft cheese)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- A generous pinch of black pepper
- Remove the skin from the mackerel fillets
- Chop the spring onion and cocktail gherkins
- Add all the ingredients into a food processor and mix together until you gain a good consistency, you don’t want it to be too smooth
- Serve with crispy crackers.