This is very much a store cupboard meal idea. A hearty and healthy soup that really doesn’t take long to cook at all!
If you’d like to make this vegetarian, you can swap chicken stock for veg stock. If you’d like to go vegan, you can remove the Greek yoghurt and Parmesan cheese. It’s delicious either way!
This version uses whole and puréed beans although if you prefer you can purée all of the beans to make a smoother soup or you can purée 2 of the 3 cans of beans.
- 3 cans cannellini beans
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic depending on how garlicky you like it
- 1 small sprig of fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon of fresh or dried thyme
- 250ml chicken or veg stock
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of Greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil to fry the garlic
- Extra virgin olive oil to drizzle over the soup to serve
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Purée the contents of 1 can of beans (with the water)
- Drain the contents of the other 2 cans
- Fry the garlic in the olive oil until softened and fragrant
- Add the bean purée, drained beans, stock, lemon juice, salt, pepper and herbs (put the rosemary sprig in whole and remove later once infused)
- Stir to combine, bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and cook on a gentle heat for about 15 minutes
- Turn off the heat, add the Greek yoghurt and Parmesan cheese
- Use your spoon to squish some of the beans on the side of the pot to break them up a bit if you like it rustic
- Serve in a bowl with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and crusty bread.